A brief sampling of industry news that caught my attention today:
- Boeing’s stretched Dreamliner, the 787-9, took to the skies for the first time. A live video feed was available and I imagine very few #avgeeks got any work done for a while today.
- Delta Air Lines tweeted out a rather amusing comic/graphic showing various in-flight sleeping positions. The “manila folder” is my favorite:
- This probably won’t come as a huge shock, but business travelers can expect to pay roughly 5% more on hotel rooms next year. A new study by New York University reported the rate hike forecast, along with warning corporate travelers that freebies (Wi-Fi and brekkie) won’t be as common in 2014.
- Guests staying at the Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea can request an all-electric luxury limo transfer from the airport. Rides are provided in Tesla S 85 luxury sedans.
- Great news for Internet users traveling through Detroit Metro Airport… its Wi-Fi network has been upgraded and no-cost access has been extended to unlimited use.
- Finally, today’s air traveling idiot award goes to a US Airways passenger who allegedly threw her cell phone at a flight attendant, also scratching and slapping his face. Classy.
– Follow Darren Booth on Twitter, @FrequentlyFlyin, for more airline, hotel and travel industry news, reviews and opinions.