I received the following email from United MileagePlus this morning, offering up to 30% off purchased award miles.
While there’s no language stating this offer is exclusive to the email recipient, it does provide a special link that is hard-coded with my MileagePlus information. And since there’s no ability to change the populated MileagePlus number on the linked page, I’m going to call this one fairly targeted for now. If anyone has a generic link to the promotion (I’ve been unsuccessful in finding one), please let me know and I’ll update this post.
Here are the terms:
- Minimum purchase of 4,000 miles required for this promotional pricing.
- Buy 4,000 to 9,000 miles and receive a 15% discount, or buy 10,000 miles or more for a 30% discount.
- Displayed price includes all discounts and taxes. Offer valid only for account number listed below in #1.
- Purchase up to 100,000 miles per account per calendar year.
- Miles are available in increments of 1,000 miles.
- Credit card will be billed immediately upon purchase.
- Mileage rates and other applicable fees are subject to change.
- Allow 48 hours for miles to process and post to your MileagePlus account.
- Miles are nonrefundable.
- Promotional offer valid until 11:59 p.m. CT (Chicago local time) on October 14, 2013.
- Purchased miles do not count toward MileagePlus Premier® status.
- All MileagePlus Program Rules and terms and conditions apply.
Is It Worth It?
Miles purchased under this promotion drop the cost-per-mile rate down to 2.63 from the regular “buy miles” rate of 3.76 CPM, but it’s more expensive than using Award Accelerator, for example. And it’s no where near as good as last month’s 60% off promo.
That said, it’s still an option if you’re needed to top-up your account for a planned award. I’m mileage rich at the moment and won’t be participating.
Did you receive the same offer and/or were you able to find a generic link I can share?
– Follow Darren Booth on Twitter, @FrequentlyFlyin, for more airline, hotel and travel industry news, reviews and opinions.