A sampling of industry news that caught my attention today:
- You can again track your American Airlines AAdvantage account activity with AwardWallet. New security measures have been put in place at AwardWallet to American’s satisfaction, re-opening access for members. Here’s hoping Delta, Southwest and United return eventually!
- American Airlines is hiring 80 work-from-home reservations agents in South Florida. A seven-week training program for the new recruits will begin October 21.
- In an attempt to appeal to “younger” travelers, Marriott has launched a new mobile app game called Xplor. Players virtually visit five cities where they take challenges, answer questions, solve puzzles and compete to win Marriott Rewards points.
- Separately (coincidentally?), Marriott Rewards is informing members that beginning Thursday August 8, they will not be able to access their Marriott accounts from a mobile device due to a hacking attempt until they change their passwords online directly on the Marriott website.
- Sabre, a major airline reservations system, experienced a four hour outage late yesterday causing flight delays and cancellations for several airlines, including American, Alaska, JetBlue, Virgin America and Virgin Australia (among others). Service was restored in the wee hours of the morning.
- A Flight Attendant Celebration Day will be held at San Francisco International Airport on August 20. The open house will run from 10am – 3pm and includes lectures, short films and commemorations. United Airlines has a heavy presence scheduled for the event.
– Follow Darren Booth on Twitter, @FrequentlyFlyin, for more airline, hotel and travel industry news, reviews and opinions.