A sampling of industry news that caught my attention today:
- American Airlines plans to open a small Admirals Club in the remote American Eagle terminal at LAX in January 2014. I have no idea where it’ll go as the terminal is so small to begin with, and I hope it doesn’t become a cramped standing-room-only mess like the former T2 United Club at O’Hare.
- Delta Air Lines will begin offering BusinessElite Express Meals on its three daily nonstop flights from JFK to London Heathrow starting in February 2014. It’s a great move to allow more time to sleep on this (relatively) short flight across the Atlantic.
- Via this Milepoint thread, US Airways has reported a data breach impacting up to 7,700 Dividend Miles members. Several frequent fliers have reported missing mileage. Yikes!
- Air Canada will upgrade its seasonal San Francisco-Montreal nonstop flights to daily, year-round service beginning this November using Airbus A319s.
- Cathay Pacific plans to announce a new U.S. destination next week, with many insiders thinking it’ll be Newark (some have said Seattle). Currently served cities are Chicago, Los Angeles, New York (JFK) and San Francisco.
- Starwood today announced that the King George hotel in Athens has joined The Luxury Collection portfolio following a three-month renovation. It offers 59 guestrooms and 43 suites.
- A new Ritz-Carlton in Bangalore, India is scheduled to open September 30. It will be India’s first Ritz and has 277 guestrooms and suites, six food and beverage outlets, a 15,000 square foot spa, and more.
- The old cell phone waiting lot at Denver International Airport will become a service oasis called “Final Approach,” featuring a 24-hour Dunkin’ Donuts, as well as Subway, Baja Fresh and ZPizza restaurants. The new cell phone lot sounds swanky, too, with free Wi-Fi and indoor seating with built-in iPads.
- If you’re looking for a good laugh on Twitter, be sure to follow the parody account @unitedairlanes. Many unsuspecting travelers think it’s the real United Twitter account and some of the conversations are hilarious. Here’s an article about the 19-year old running the account. [Edited August 9: Well that was quick work by United… the @unitedairlanes Twitter account is now showing as suspended.]
- Finally… from the rumor mill… United Express might be adding a row of coach seats to its CR7 aircraft, and reciprocal lounge access for American and US Airways fliers could begin September 1.
– Follow Darren Booth on Twitter, @FrequentlyFlyin, for more airline, hotel and travel industry news, reviews and opinions.