While I’m traveling, here’s a briefer than normal sampling of industry news that caught my attention during the past two days:
- United Airlines rolled out a revived “Fly the Friendly Skies” multimedia ad campaign on Friday. It tugs at nostalgia for me given I grew up with that slogan, and actually think it’s a decent TV spot – certainly better than United’s recent p.s. (premium service) advert.
- Emirates will launch new service from Boston to Dubai beginning next March. The airline will operate the route with a Boeing 777-200LR in a three-class layout.
- As expected, Lufthansa announced its split aircraft order between Airbus and Boeing for 59 new jets. Deliveries of 34 Boeing 777-9X and 25 Airbus A350-900 aircraft will begin in 2016.
- Three of the most active U.S. cities for increased hotel demand over the past year might come as a surprise. Cleveland, Oakland and Pittsburgh hotels were able to hold their average room rates steady during the recent recession and are enjoying solid demand.
- A new Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites has opened in Scottsdale, Arizona. The four-story 104-room hotel is located in the Desert Ridge area of North Phoenix/Scottsdale.
– Follow Darren Booth on Twitter, @FrequentlyFlyin, for more airline, hotel and travel industry news, reviews and opinions.
Notable Airline, Hotel and Travel News: September 18, 2013
Notable Airline, Hotel and Travel News: September 17, 2013
“One of these things is not like the others…”
Some really interesting news here – but how did a new Holiday Inn Express in Scottsdale make the list??? 🙂
@Food Wine and Miles: Well, it’s hotel news, isn’t it? 😉 But you caught me in drafting up a less-than-substantial list since I’m traveling and not on the pulse full-time today/yesterday.