A brief sampling of industry news that caught my attention today:
- Act fast if you’re interested in a 60% bonus when purchasing United Airlines MileagePlus miles. The “People Power” promotion ends tonight at midnight central time.
- Meanwhile at United, the airline has recalled all of its furloughed pilots (nearly 600 in total) based on “future staffing needs.” Training classes begin in October and run through the end of the year.
- American Airlines has a Share Miles 30% Bonus Offer now through October 10, where AAdvantage members can transfer miles to another person. That person will also receive up to a 30% bonus depending on how many miles the member transfers. American will donate 10 miles for every transaction during the promotion to the American Airlines Kids in NeedSM program.
- InterContinental Hotels Group Rewards Club members can earn a $75 shopping, dining or entertainment gift card after staying three consecutive nights at a Holiday Inn Resort property in the U.S., Mexico or Caribbean by November 30.
- The 297-room Andaz Maui at Wailea Resort & Spa has officially opened. It’s a category 6 hotel in the Hyatt Gold Passport program.
- The folks over on the Going Global TV blog posted a spoof airline safety card. I got a chuckle out of most of the images. Be sure to check out the card’s origin, Airtoons.com for more.
- Finally, check out this CNN slideshow showing some creative ways to recycle airplanes. I want that desk in #5!
– Follow Darren Booth on Twitter, @FrequentlyFlyin, for more airline, hotel and travel industry news, reviews and opinions.