A brief sampling of industry news that caught my attention today:
- United Airlines is planning more than $400 million in upgrades to its LAX facilities, according to a report filed with the L.A. Board of Airport Commissioners. A new United Club will be among the improvements. I certainly won’t miss this dull and aged walk down the T7 terminal:
- Rocketmiles has extended its 3,000 JetBlue TrueBlue bonus points offer through September 30. Book your first hotel stay with Rocketmiles this month for a trip before December 31 and you’ll earn the bonus, plus between 1,000 to 5,000 additional points per night depending on the hotel.
- Japan Airlines has become the latest carrier to develop its own fragrance. I wrote about Turkish Airlines’ TK 1933 bouquet previously, and the new JAL scent will be freshening noses at the airline’s domestic and international lounges in Japan beginning September 10. (h/t: @starflyergold)
- The TWA Flight Center at JFK Airport will once again be open for tours on October 13. It’s a rare look inside an iconic airport facility and is part of the 11th annual openhousenewyork Festival. (h/t: @airlinegossip) This is as close to it that I’ve ever been (from the JFK AirTrain):
- Have you ever had groceries delivered to your hotel room? The service is reportedly taking off at more than just extended-stay properties, with Affinia Hotels the latest to offer guests specially packed meals from FreshDirect.
- Finally, check out the new British Airways television advertisement, “Today. Tomorrow.” It’s fantastic and not just in an #avgeek way:
– Follow Darren Booth on Twitter, @FrequentlyFlyin, for more airline, hotel and travel industry news, reviews and opinions.