[Updated 7/17/12: This offer is no longer available and I’ve removed the links. For archive purposes, I’m leaving the rest of the post untouched.]
The 100,000 Avios offer is back for the British Airways Visa Signature credit card from Chase. This iteration of the offer requires a bit more spend on the card to get the full bonus than the last one, but it’s not as high as some other cards out there. Here’s the short list of terms and benefits:
- Earn a 50,000 Avios bonus after your first purchase.
- Earn an additional 25,000 bonus after making $10,000 in purchases during your first year of card membership.
- Get another 25,000 Avios if you hit $20,000 in purchases during that first year.
- Every year you spend $30,000 or more, earn a “Travel Together Ticket” (companion certificate) on British Airways good for two years.
- It’s smart-chip embedded allowing for easy purchases in some European countries.
- No foreign transaction fees.
- Earn 2.5 Avios for every $1 spent on British Airways purchases.
- Earn 1.25 Avios for every $1 spend on all other purchases.
The standard variable APR for this card is 15.24% and the annual fee is $95/year. It’s interesting they haven’t matched competing cards out there by waiving the first year’s fee.
While British Airways charges significantly high fuel surcharges on award travel – as well as taxes, especially to the U.K. – there is value in adding this card to your wallet if you’re an American Airlines traveler primarily flying domestically within the United States.
The redemption rates for Avios are distance-based and for West coasters like me, a Los Angeles to Hawaii award in coach would cost 25,000 Avios on American. So, after a simple purchase with the card, you have enough for a trip for two to Hawaii. Finding the award space, of course, can be a challenge, but with some planning and flexibility it’s totally doable.
I receive a small commission if you get approved for a card by using the links in this post. I remain grateful for any who do and I only dedicate posts to cards I feel have value.