- I blogged about it separately, but American Airlines unveiled a new identity today, ahead of any announcement regarding a merger with US Airways. The intro video is #avgeek spectacular, in my opinion.
- Delta Air Lines officially announced a new Medallion Qualifying Miles requirement starting in the 2014 program year. I shared my thoughts on it in a post yesterday. Which U.S. airline will be next to introduce a spend threshold for elite status? My guess: United, and within the next three months.
- Alaska Airlines officially announced Emirates as a Mileage Plan redemption option. Earning miles when flying Emirates has been offered to Alaska’s members since March 2012.
- United Airlines sent emails to MileagePlus members offering buy-up Premier Qualifying Miles to achieve a higher elite status. Many Flyertalkers reported their targeted offers in the linked Flyertalk thread.
- Leave it to Spirit Airlines to launch a fare sale surrounding the confusing Manti Te’o scandal/controversy/hoax/whatever you want to call it. Always good for media exposure. Per the Spirit sale/website, “So, if your girlfriend is around (and real), plan that trip that you’ve been talking about without paying too much for it. And tell those high fares to RIP!”
- Starwood Hotels has signed on to be the exclusive hotel partner for the Chicago Cubs, Wrigley Field and other related businesses/charities. SPG members will have a chance for exclusive access to events and other experiences as part of the SPG Moments program.